A VEHICLE caught fire on Monday night after it short-circuited at the third floor of UST multi-deck carpark building.
John Paulo Yuson Manuel, owner of the Nissan Sentra, said smoke came out of the hood after he tried to move the car to a different parking space.
“Sinubukan ko siyang ilipat lang ng parking space pero after ko maikot itong third floor, biglang umusok. Akala ko nag-overheat lang pero paglabas namin ng sasakyan, may maliit na apoy na dito sa may fuse box,” said the fourth year UST-AMV College of Accountancy student in an interview with the Varsitarian.
Manuel was with three other students.
No one was reportedly hurt as the fire was easily contained by people at the scene.
UST Security Chief Joseph Badinas has yet to comment on the incident as of writing.
Carpark as AMV building ‘unsafe’
In an interview with the Varsitarian in July 2017, Lester Toribio, incident commander of the UST-AMV College of Accountancy, said the carpark, occupied by food establishments with gas tanks and cars, was at risk to explosions.
“The carpark building is the weakest building in the entire UST campus. Underneath the classrooms are cars which are combustible and prone to create large explosions. Fast food establishinments and restaurants, they all use gas to cook,” Toribio said.
Toribio suggested that AMV students be transferred to another building.